Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Apple Shrunken Head

These are so fun and easy to make! However, you need at least 2 weeks to achieve success. I started this as the 1st item for the OPY swap, but it was the last one finished. As you can see inthe pics, I had planned to put it on a spring and have it jump out at her, but I ran out of room in the can. And, the hair was so thick it wouldn't slide out very well. I ended up removing the ugly spring underneath and just tying it to the lid.

apple shrunken head
apple shrunken head

To make one, you carve the face in the apple after removing the skin. Soak it in a mixture of lemon juice, salt and water for 24 hours. Then, you let it hang for 2 weeks or bake it on 200 degrees in the oven until it starts to dry. Once it is done shriveling and shrinking you can seal it and start decorating. The eyes I used are the same cat eyes on the spider beanie with the exception that I scratched off some of the paint and repainted it red to get the bloodshot streaks on the iris.

No comments: