Friday, April 29, 2011

Goggles - A Steampunk's Essential Provision

It seems, to most people, you aren't "Steampunk" unless you sport at least one pair of goggles or some type of eyewear. :) Actually, I think they are so popular because they're the perfect quick way to make any outfit scream steampunk. But for me personally, I haven't found a pair small enough to fit on my mini top hat. ;)

My SO and I have created three pair of goggles so far in our attempt to adorn ourselves in gadgets. These were all HIS ideas. I merely assisted where asked to. I've posted his first, more complex, pair in a previous post (also glimpsed in the last pic of this post). They are still my fav, probably due to sentimentality. But, they are very unique, too. I've never seen a pair like them. This last pair are pretty impressive, too. However, they used the typical welding goggle base that you see just about everywhere steampunks gather. :)



The above pair are the most recent attempt displayed on the hat also his creation. He found a used and rather beat up pair of welding goggles at a fleamarket. They cost us $3. If you look closely at the pic, you can just barely see the deep pits in the lense where they saved the previous user's eyes.



I helped on these by cleaning, sanding and painting the hard black plastic frames. I sprayed them with black, silver and gold paint and applied a little metallic Rub 'n Buff to the high spots for a nice aged feel. He then made the strap and applied the gears and other tid bits.



He also whipped up a matching hat band for his hat while making the strap.

BTW, I just love his hat. I'm still in awe of how this was just about his first experience working with leather. He plans to make another shorter one in the near future. Can't wait to see how it turns out.



Here is another pair of simpler goggles that we experimented on just before making the others. He hasn't added any doodads, yet. I tried to paint them to look like wood. I think I'd like to antique them a bit so they don't look so new. Does the shape in the lens look familiar to you? If it does, you're showing your age. ;) It's inspired by the piece used in the center of a vinyl 45 record.



This hat was one of mine. I've had just about forever. Though it was a wee big, the daughter wore it and this pair of goggles to Scarby (ren faire) for the SP invasion. She looked adorable, if I do say so myself. She had no less than three people actually identify the lens. :)



Grandma wore SO's original goggle masterpiece on her Indiana Jones hat as a last minute attempt to put something together. She was a good sport for participating in the SP invasion with us. She still isn't sure what "steampunk" actually is, bless her.

2 comments:

lisbonlioness said...

This is probably the ONE family portrait I've ever seen that makes me want to have a tad more of a family. And I'd require them to be utterly amazing, in case anyone considers applying for the job.

mieljolie said...

Sorry, the "utterly amazing" ones seem to be all taken. You'll have to settle (as I did) for uncommonly above ordinary. ;) I wish we took more family portraits like this one.

Have a great weekend!

Mieljolie